Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB)

Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB)

17th February 2013

I have been injured as a result of a collision with a third party vehicle who then left the scene. Can I claim for vehicle damage and personal injury?

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) can deal with your claim under the 2003 Untraced Driver’s Agreement (as amended). The claim must be brought within the usual three year limitation period.


Property Damage Claims

Compensation for property damage is a feature of the Agreement granting compensation for damages with an excess over £300 (Clause 1).

If you wish to claim for property damage (e.g. vehicle damage) you will need:

  • Evidence of the damage and the cost of repair or replacement
  • Invoice and objective proof of payment.
  • Report from a suitably qualified expert setting out the damage caused and the cost of repair or replacement.


Personal injury claim

You must report the accident to the police within 14 days. However where there is property damage this is reduced to five days or as soon as reasonably possible.

You will need proof of the fact that you reported your accident to the police.


Exclusions from the Agreement

  • Damaged property caused by an unidentified vehicle
  • When the injured person allowed themselves to be carried in the vehicle when they knew or ought to have known that the vehicle was either stolen, uninsured or used to further crime.

Appeal Procedure

  • Six weeks to appeal against the MIB’s decision.
  • The MIB will within 7 days, investigate any further evidence supplied by you.



We would represent you on a Contingency Fee Basis whereby 25% of your damages is deducted as a contribution towards legal costs.